About the day:
- Our leadership day focuses on the journey we have taken to develop the UNIQUE vision and values for our school community and how this has become a golden thread running through everything we do.
- We will share our ‘inside-outside’ curriculum approach with you and the Oaklands Progressive Assessment Ladders (OPAL), all of which focuses on areas of learning essential for preparing our pupils to be unique ‘future adults’.
- You will visit children in classes and experience the whole school environment to understand how autistic pupils unique learning needs are supported.
- You will have the opportunity to learn about the ways in which our staff teams work together to both plan and implement the curriculum, the strategies used in our different pathways and how high expectations for each child is seen in practice.
- You will get opportunities throughout the day to reflect and consider how our approach relates to your own context.
About Oaklands School:
We are a thriving special school for children aged 4-11, most of whom are autistic or have a diagnosis of speech, communication and interaction difficulties. We have used the National Autistic Society Accreditation standards to drive school improvement and recently achieved NAS Advanced status. We are also an Inclusion Quality Mark Flagship school.
We have three distinctive pathways for our children to reflect their diversity and learning
needs. We focus on providing motivating learning experiences that engage, enthuse and
challenge our children, encouraging them to become independent learners, and
celebrating their many successes. Our innovative ‘inside-outside’ curriculum and OPAL
assessment focuses on purposeful learning for all pupils, in preparation for their journeys on to secondary schools and beyond.
Oaklands is a real community for our children and their families, and as a school we actively strive for autism awareness and acceptance in the wider community by providing outreach for professionals as well as participating in regular events & visits in Leicester.